Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! (Psalms 107:21)
Complain. Complain. Complain.
Who doesn’t love a good pity party? But, I have to admit, sometimes I get on my own nerves from all my complaining.
For just a few moments, let’s lay aside our complaints and think about some things we have to be thankful for. I’ll go first.
Lord, thank You –
- You saved my soul.
- You gave me you word to guide and encourage me on the way.
- You meet my every need – physical, emotional, spiritual.
- You hear my prayers – my prayers for others as well as their prayers for me.
- You receive me into your presence – to worship, to praise, even to hear my complaints.
- You have filled my life with family and friends who love and care for me .
- You give me strength for the demands of life.
I offer this brief list fully understanding how inadequate it is. There is not enough space on the world wide web nor enough time in eternity to name all the ways the Lord has blessed me. No list can ever be complete, for God’s mercies are new every morning.
I love to quote my parents; after all these years I have finally come to see how wise they were. Growing up, when one of us kids wanted to complain, (yes, my complaining goes way back), Daddy would say “no matter how bad off you think you are, you can always find someone who is worse off than you”. But, it is God Himself who gives us the true antidote to our complaining nature – it is a daily dose of thankfulness. The cure for complaining is day-in and day-out giving praise to God for His steadfast love and wondrous works.